The Midlands Regional Faculty for Advancing Practice was established in December 2020. Since then, we have created a staffing infrastructure comprising of seven posts. Those Faculty team members have been developing the Faculty, building relationships and developing initiatives to highlight the value of an advanced practice workforce within our systems and provider organisations, in collaboration with our regional universities.
The Midlands regional Faculty for Advancing Practice covers both the East Midlands and West Midlands together across the region’s 11 STPs:
The aims of the Regional Faculty in the Midlands are:
- Improved quality of education and training through ensuring standards for advanced practice education and training in collaboration with the national Centre for Advancing Practice.
- To develop consistent approaches to advanced practice innovations.
- To develop advanced practice governance and increase standardisation in acute and primary care settings.
- To ensure value for money in advanced practice investments (HEE, employers, and HEIs), by evaluation and research of advanced practice investments.
- To accelerate workforce skill mixes and introduction / integration of advanced practice roles.
- To support workforce planning nationally, regionally, and locally to enable greater alignment of advancing practice development to policy priorities.
- To achieve the full potential of the advanced level of practice for patients – removing restrictions on advanced practice, enhancing transferability of advanced practitioners, and developing advanced in new areas.
- To develop the provision of a career development framework for healthcare registrants’ levels of practice through initial > enhanced > advanced > consultant levels.
Meet the team:
Dr Julian Barratt, Regional Faculty Lead for Advancing Practice
Julian was previously Head of the Department of Post-Registration Education in the Institute of Health based in the Faculty of Education, Health and Wellbeing at the University of Wolverhampton. Julian’s clinical background in advanced practice is as a nurse practitioner in unscheduled primary care and general practice. Julian’s doctoral research linked analysis of interactions in nurse practitioner consultations with patient-reported outcome measures.
Gemma Ford and Jane Sime, Regional Advancing Practice Supervision and Assessment Leads
Gemma’s clinical background in advanced practice is in mental health; Gemma works in Nottinghamshire as a mental health ACP for 2-days per week, and 3-days per week as one of the Faculty’s Supervision and Assessment Leads.
Jane’s clinical background in advanced practice is in primary care; Jane works in Worcestershire as a primary care ACP for 3-days per week, and 2-days per week as one of the Faculty’s Supervision and Assessment Leads.
Felicity Begley, Regional Project Manager – Advancing Practice
Prior to joining the Faculty Felicity already worked with HEE Midlands in its Workforce Transformation Hub. Felicity’s clinical background is in physiotherapy. Felicity is currently undertaking an MBA Apprenticeship at Aston University.
Halima Abowath and Harpreet Sarai, Project Support Officers
Halima previously worked for Leicester City Council. Halima is based at HEE Midlands Leicester office and supports systems, provider organisations, and universities in the East Midlands.
Harpreet has previously worked for Midlands and Lancashire CSU and also in a prior role at HEE. Harpreet is based at HEE Midlands Birmingham office and supports systems, provider organisations, and universities in the West Midlands.
Tasneem Aly, Administration Assistant
Tasneem previously worked at De Montfort University and has a master’s degree in digital design. Tasneem is based at HEE Midlands Leicester office and supports systems, provider organisations, and universities across the Midlands.
The Faculty for Advancing Practice in the Midlands works in close collaboration with:
- Workforce Transformation Hub – HEE Midlands
- Clare Sutherland – Associate Dean Interprofessional Learning (HEE East Midlands) / Senior Professional Advisor ACP (HEE National team)
- Julia Taylor – Clinical Adviser HEE Primary Care Team